CONSUME LESS / SHARE MORE / LIVE SIMPLY

(function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=f!=void 0?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(f==void 0)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=e>0?new b(e):new b;window.jstiming={Timer:b,load:p};if(a){var c=a.navigationStart;c>0&&e>=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; c>0&&e>=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&c>0&&(d.tick("_tbnd",void 0,window.chrome.csi().startE),d.tick("tbnd_","_tbnd",c))),a==null&&window.gtbExternal&&(a=window.gtbExternal.pageT()),a==null&&window.external&&(a=window.external.pageT,d&&c>0&&(d.tick("_tbnd",void 0,window.external.startE),d.tick("tbnd_","_tbnd",c))),a&&(window.jstiming.pt=a)}catch(g){}})();window.tickAboveFold=function(b){var a=0;if(b.offsetParent){do a+=b.offsetTop;while(b=b.offsetParent)}b=a;b<=750&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })();

Here in the desert

I am nearing the end of my shift and I've been here barely 2 weeks. Granted, it is only a 3 week stint so I can hardly even call it a shift. It's been busy though. A few days after I got in, there was a senior management contingent out here. I was tasked with putting on a presentation for them (four layers of management above my head). It went well enough.

I've been drafted by the ERT (Emergency Response team). It's been interesting. We are learning a lot about first aid, rescue techniques, and fire fighting (that is me on the hose). I always did want to be a firefighter (maybe it was cowboy...I can't remember).
We had a very near miss out here the other day. One of our guys got electrocuted with 2400 volts. It is an absolute miracle that he is alive. Once the charge hit him, his muscles tightened and he couldn't pull off the source. Thankfully, a trained electrician was working a few feet away and had the presence of mind to pull him off by yanking on his coveralls, undoubtedly saving his life. A real wake-up call considering it was carelessness that caused the accident. Don't worry about me though, the highest voltage I deal with is my calculator (and I think it is solar-powered).

As this is my second home, everything around here seems normal. However, I want to try to portray what life is like here for. the problem is just that I am not sure what you are all curious about. Having my camera handy, I can show and explain almost anything. All you have to do is let me know. I'll start with the picture below. This is my locker

Here are some various pictures from around here.

The rig on the left is replacing a downhole pump. Each time we do that, it costs about $150K. We've had 4 this month already. A run of bad luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home